- On Saturday morning, ten heavily armed gang members on the run from police in Rio swept into the beachside InterContinental hotel in São Conrado and took 35 people hostage. The violence and shootings had began prior to that, when up to 60 members of a gang involved in drug trafficking were intercepted by police while attempting to return to their base in Rocinha after an all-night party in a nearby favela, Vidigal. Watch an amateur video footage of the shootings here. If the city is going to be made safe in time for the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, there is still a long way to go.
- In other "the country is so not prepared for the 2014 World Cup" news, a blackout at the airport in Porto Alegre which lasted two hours last Friday resulted in several flight delays and cancellations.
- Is Rihanna coming to Brazil or not? Brazilian company Unique claimed on Friday that it has a signed contract confirming three Rihanna concerts in Brazil in the last week of November after the singer's agent had denied any rumors that Rihanna would be performing in the country.
- Fashion's Night Out in Brazil has been canceled this year because Vogue Brazil is moving to a new publisher, but if you happen to be in New York, here is a guide of where to be on the night of September 10.
- Lady Gaga, the new queen of twitter, begins reign with a video.
- Cathy Horyn weighs in on the September issues.
- Katie Grand's animal instincts at Nowness.
- Watch the x-rated Sergio K campaign video edited by Terry Richardson.
The comments to this entry are closed.