No official numbers have been released yet, but early estimates are that 3 to 3.5 million attended the Gay Pride parade at Avenida Paulista yesterday. Some websites, however, report that there were less people at the parade this year than at the previous two.
I did not attend the parade this year again for several reasons which I have listed in the past (1,200 police officers for 3 million people being one of them), but I went through every news site and Brazilian blog this morning to put together a list of links to pictures and articles about the parade you should check out.
- At a press conference before the parade yesterday, São Paulo Governor José Serra confirmed his support for civil unions for homosexual couples. (Folha Online)
- Nineteen floats were on the schedule, but not a single São Paulo nightclub was involved in the parade this year.
- Gay Pride weekend brought in 400 thousand tourists and R$200 million to the city São Paulo this year. Only 5% of the tourists came from abroad. Fyi, the only other event that brings in more tourists to the city is the F-1 Grand Prix. (G1)
- Model Edilson Nascimento showed up at the parade yesterday, along with Têtu's editor Gilles Wullus.
- 392 was the number of medical emergencies at Avenida Paulista yesterday, 99% of them being caused by alcohol abuse. (Folha Online)
- The police is investigating the explosion of a homemade bomb in downtown São Paulo last night. The explosion injured 21 people who had just left the parade. On another sad note, a 35-year-old man was attacked last night by a group of men at prominently gay street Frei Caneca. The man was taken to the hospital with severe brain damage, and is in a comma. Other serious incidents last night involved a young man being attacked and robbed, a man being stabbed in the leg, and a journalist and cameraman being beat by a group of three men. (G1)
- Not a surprise there: the police has already filed dozens of reports of stolen wallets, cameras, and cellphones. (G1)
View pictures of the 2009 São Paulo Gay Pride parade at:
- 13ª Parada Gay de São Paulo. (Videocast Folha Online)
- Parada Gay 2009. (UOL Entretenimento)
- Veja fotos da Parada Gay de São Paulo. (G1 Fotos)
- Confira as primeiras imagens da Parada de SP. (ParouTudo)
- Mais imagens de quem esteve na Avenida Paulista. (ParouTudo)
- Parada do Orgulho Gay reúne milhares em São Paulo. (Terra Fotos)
- Álbum de beldades. (MixBrasil)
- 13ª Parada Gay. (Galeria Estadão)
The comments to this entry are closed.